When betting on cycling, the key thing is to get familiar with the riders, track their form and recognize their strengths and weaknesses. Similarly as in skiing, you need to know the track and prepare your body for a lot of heavy work – fans of the said discipline can read more on szydlowiecki.eu about how the Polish have won and overcome their fears. If this is too much, cycling might be perfect for you. If, for example, you prefer horse racing, check out horseracingtips.org.uk. In the past several years, a group of cycling riders has been separating themselves from the pack, becoming regular favorites for the events to come.
Tour de France is the most popular cycling event of the year, and if you want to bet on Tour de France you better hurry up! We can always look to escape the dread of anticipation by taking a closer look at what the bookmakers have to say about the top 5 contenders for the coveted yellow jersey:
- Chris Froome is a British cyclist and a member of Team Sky which is currently holding all three titles on the Grand Tour. His last title was the 2018 Giro d’Italia despite the unfortunate mishap of crashing in the recon for the first time-trial race in Jerusalem. Chris has won the Tour de France 4 times, and considering his recent form and achievements there is no doubt to why he is the main contender for winning the prestige competition in 2019.
- Tom Dumoulin comes from the Netherlands and is a member of Team Sunweb. Over the past several years he became renowned as the time-trialing expert. After adding climbing to one of his specialties, he will definitely be a force to be reckoned with at the next Tour de France. And while winning Giro d’Italia in 2017 is his only title from the Grand Tour to date, finishing 2nd in this year’s Tour de France along with his recent performances have earned him his rightful place among the favorites.
- Geraint Thomas is a Welsh cyclist and another member of Team Sky on the top 5 list. Before focusing on road cycling, Thomas has competed in track cycling with great success, winning three championships and two Olympic gold medals. In 2018 he became the first ever Welshman to win the Tour de France, gaining the lead in the 11th stage which he managed to maintain throughout the rest of the competition.
- Primoz Roglic comes from Slovenia and is currently representing the Team LottoNL–Jumbo. A former junior World Ski Jumping Champion, Roglic made the switch to road cycling in 2012, quickly proving his talent and potential. Even though the height of his achievement on the Tour de France are 2 individual stage victories in the past couple of years, 2018 has been a real success thus far, with him winning three stage race titles including Tour de Tour of the Basque Country, Tour de Romandie, and Tour of Slovenia.
- Richie Porte is an Australian cyclist competing for the BMC Racing Team. After winning the young rider classification at the 2010 Giro d’Italia, Porte moved to Team Sky in 2012. He played the part of the super-domestique and contributed to three of his team’s Tour de France victories, riding alongside Bradley Wiggins in 2012, and Chris Froome in 2013 and 2015. In 2016 he had made the switch to BMC Racing Team and since then he has won three stage race titles, the last one being the Tour de Suisse in 2018.
Tour de France 2019 may be a long way away, but it’s never too early to get acquainted with the top riders who will be the center of attention. Even though the months ahead will bring unforeseen spikes and drops in form, as well as injury woes, it’s never too early to have fun and prepare your bets for what will surely be a wonderful cycling spectacle.